So, since embarking on a new creative endeavour in acrylic painting, i’ve only managed a couple of separate sessions since the start of April. Not exactly setting the art world alight but it’s a start.
I’ve been accumulating notes and ideas for years, covering a range of styles, mediums and approaches but actually getting the ideas translated into something more tangible has proved slightly tricky.
Anyway, a few starting attempts in acrylic. The first thing was the amazingly vivid colours, which stayed strong and rich. The water-based paints I had been experimenting with lost their colour intensity when dry. So far, so good.
Here are the first few tests at the start of April…
I’ve been trying use different techniques and colours to see what works well and what I feel is a natural and comfortable approach, without being afraid to try new things.
Here are the latest paintings…
Apart from the main canvas board, I tried a similar pressed colour technique on the smaller scale, with blank postcards. In a way this is much more satisfying, with quick results and more focus on a simple idea rather than a composition.
So far, i’ve picked out some details in the main image which I like, which I might try and do more with or use again, as a whole image or composition is well beyond what I can do so far. The main thing so far has been the colour blending using a hard and straight edge (a paint scraper) which I used to press the colours together, while drawing the blade down the canvas. The applied colours led to single and blended colours.
I’ll need to spend a lot more time on this and hopefully I can use the garden over the summer as painting area : )