Acrylic painting…

Another adventure into acrylic painting. With these two paintings I was trying to exaggerate the contrasts between the colours, textures and patterns. I feel there was some success, in that there are details which show that contrast quite vividly, particularly the central green line against the background of white.

Acrylic painting 31.05.13 - 3 Acrylic painting 31.05.13 - 5 Acrylic painting 31.05.13 - 2

The second example was less subtle and was more about blending techniques and seeing how using the pure white colour would blend with the stronger background colours. A slightly murky result but i’m following (or trying to) the path of trial and error where i’m learning the craft and testing different colours and techniques : )

out

Advertisements

First acrylic painting efforts…

So, since embarking on a new creative¬†endeavour in acrylic painting, i’ve only managed a couple of separate sessions since the start of April. Not exactly setting the art world alight but it’s a start.

I’ve been accumulating notes and ideas for years, covering a range of styles, mediums and approaches but actually getting the ideas translated into something more tangible has proved slightly tricky.

Anyway, a few starting attempts in acrylic. The first thing was the amazingly vivid colours, which stayed strong and rich. The water-based paints I had been experimenting with lost their colour intensity when dry. So far, so good.

Here are the first few tests at the start of April…

I’ve been trying use different techniques and colours to see what works well and what I feel is a natural and comfortable approach, without being afraid to try new things.

Here are the latest paintings…

Apart from the main canvas board, I tried a similar pressed colour technique on the smaller scale, with blank postcards. In a way this is much more satisfying, with quick results and more focus on a simple idea rather than a composition.

So far, i’ve picked out some details in the main image which I like, which I might try and do more with or use again, as a whole image or composition is well beyond what I can do so far. The main thing so far has been the colour blending using a hard and straight edge (a paint scraper) which I used to press the colours together, while drawing the blade down the canvas. The applied colours led to single and blended colours.

I’ll need to spend a lot more time on this and hopefully I can use the garden over the summer as painting area : )

out

‘Rainbow Scrape’ – start to finish…

We had finished painting a few pictures and there was still what looked like a completely untouched palette of various colours. So, instead of just washing this up and wasting the paint, I decided to use the paints and see what happened.

Each stage was completely improvised with no previous idea of any structure or even use of tools. The end of a paint brush was first used to cut across the individual colours then the blending got stronger. I used the straight edge of a spirit level to get the smeared effects and raised and lowered it as I drew it across the page.

I then added another piece of A3 paper to extend the image – maybe 1 step too far for the final product but it was fun to try out something i’ve never attempted before : )

out