First fire autumn 2012…

The first day of autumn and also the Autumn Equinox – when the period of night and day are meant to be in exact alignment.

It just so happened that this was the day we got the fire and chimney swept and fixed. The guy took about 30 minutes to sweep the chimney, clean out the stove, replace the back fire brick, fix the turning plates and replace the smoke rope. Bargain.

Claire also applied the stove polish all over it to protect it from rust, while me and the boys got a full stack of firewood in from the end of the garden. So we’re now enjoying toasty wood fires again! : )

out

Advertisements

Firewood action…!

Elcombe Firewood just delivered the first of 2 wood deliveries, each will be 3 M3, which in old money is roughly 1.5 tons. The problem with working in tons instead of a metric space measurement is that the weight is largely determined by the moisture content of the wood, rather than the actual wood itself, given that water is fairly heavy.

*above: all the free wood so far, cut, split and stacked.

So, we’re getting a total of 6 M3, which is roughly 3 tons. During the very cold spell in the winter this last year, we used more than 2 tons (4 M3), with another .05 tons (1 M3) either side, so this time, i’m getting in what should be the right amount, plus hopefully another 2 M3 made up of scavenged and free wood from various sources…

We’ve also been beavering away collecting loads of free wood from various places and creating spaces for all the new wood!

1) Alney Island tree area – contacts at work helped with collecting various felled trees which were being managed as part of the annual management of the area. Lots of ash branches.

2) My main contact has a tree surgeon friend who he does jobs for every now and again. He helped out with a boot full of various part-seasoned wood.

3) While we were at Crickley Hill, there were a series of trees being pruned and cut back. I asked the tree surgeon if I could have a boot of some of the smaller pieces and he agreed! A half boot full of good sized tree pieces.

4) A final load (which must be a total of 1 M3) from my ‘contact’s’ tree surgeon friend. This is made up of about 8 rounds of field maple, each about 40KG and 0.4 metres across!

So, maybe a total of 2 M3 of free wood and 6 M3 of bought hard wood.

out

Wood delivery & stepping logs…!

So we’ve had half of the wood delivered and have already nearly got through splitting it and stacking it.

The van arrived and just tipped all the logs onto the pavement. My Mum was also up for birthday celebrations and helped shift logs, as well as mind the boys. It took about an hour to wheel barrow the logs into the back garden and we’ve just been splitting and stacking logs whenever we get a chance.

I also arranged most of the logs I got from my contact at work, around the base of the apple tree, to form a series of stepping logs. This also makes it easier for the boys to climb into the tree!

We’ve got the next delivery of the last 3 M3 of logs this Friday, which should last all winter and some of the next as well!

out