Simple wall stuck photos…

There is something very elegant about fixing simple printed photos to a clean white wall…

Sackler Building interior

Photo courtesy of: http://www.haworthtompkins.com/built/proj05/index.html

out

Looking around inside…

I’ve found over the years that there are photo opportunities everywhere you go – sometimes not obvious. Once you start looking at things in a more abstract way, anything becomes a possible photo target!

The hanging beaded section of a window ornament with the morning sun behind caught my eye, as did the quite feint wall shadows and the patterns they produced.

out

Insulation…

Claire’s at home today and the surveyor from the insulation company is there measuring up. She’s doing a good job looking after the boys and talking to the guy and so far it sounds like it’s going well.

The lastest update is that the total area for the insulation is measured at 71m2, not the 80m2 we were basing it all on. The 80m2 figure was measured from the 3D SketchUp model, which I put together of thw whole house, and which I thought was to the nearest few centimetres! Anyway, i’m not complaining as just that difference will mean £855 less cost.

If anyone out there in the blogosphere picks up on this post, here are a couple of useful bits of info, which you can use to make a decision about home improvements and sustainability.

We have a Victorian, 3-bed semi-detached (c. 1890). We’re getting the whole side elevation done and most of the rear.

The whole point of doing this is to improve the temperature inside the house and also reduce the variation of temperatures. There’s also reducing condensation inside by reducing the contrast of temperatures. When the water vapour in the air hits the colder wall surface (or a lot of the time around window edges) it condenses into water droplets and this leads to mould growth and poor inside air quality.

So, when we introduce some heat via the log burner, hopefully this heat will stay inside for longer and we won’t need as much heat to provide a comfortable temperature. We’ll hopefully only have to use the electric radiators for a very short time also.

The overall cost of this type of external insulated render system is £80 – £110 per square metre. Ours is coming in at roughly £100 / m2. This is roughly £7,600 for the render system and there are a number of other bits and pieces on top of that. We are getting a £3,000 grant from the Gloucestershire Warm & Well scheme + another £380 odd grant from another scheme, which brings the cost down to roughly £4,500.

The external insulation is under warranty for 30 years and is covered by the manufacturer (Weber). The insulation is designed to bring the Victorian, solid brick wall structure up to current Building Regs standards, of roughly 0.35 U-value. This is the same as any new house built within the last few years.

The insulation uses 50mm of phenolic board insulation, which is a compressed, closed-cell foam, which is the thinnest and most efficient material available. There are a number of layers on top of this with a water-proof top coat.

As well as this, we’re getting a new loft hatch, to sort out the cold air coming into the house and getting the hallway area re-plastered, over the bedroom wall, bathroom and ceiling, including around the area of the new loft hatch. We’re also getting the guttering and facia boards sorted out externally.

So, exciting stuff – we’ve signed up to it and can’t wait to get it all started!

out